Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kleiner, Khosla & WSGR Together on Battery Start Up?

I've written a lot about Khosla's interest in EEStor over the past couple years.  I've also written about Khosla's interest in general in energy storage and Recapping Inc. in particular.  So, I find it interesting that Katie Fehrenbacher is reporting to have "heard that Kleiner’s John Doerr and Khosla’s Vinod Khosla are taking Board seats at QuantumScape," which is based on Stanford's "all-electron battery. "

If that were true, it would be an interesting move.  The problem is when I search SEC records, I can't find any support for the view but maybe it's just me.   I can locate the business entity records here:


Entity Name:QUANTUMSCAPE CORPORATION
Entity Number:C3334840
Date Filed:11/19/2010
Status:ACTIVE
Jurisdiction:DELAWARE
Entity Address:650 PAGE MILL RD
Entity City, State, Zip:PALO ALTO CA 94304
Agent for Service of Process:JAGDEEP SINGH
Agent Address:3000 SND HILL RD STE 190, BUILDING 3
Agent City, State, Zip:MENLO PARK CA 94025




For those that don't known, Jagdeep Singh is the founder of telco gear company Infinera and works with Khosla Ventures.  The address above is of Khosla Ventures.  650 Page Mill Rd belongs to Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati, which if you've been paying attention, represented EEStor, for example in this key EEStor stock purchase document.

If Quantumscape is working with Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati, that might not be a very good thing. If you recall, I reported previously that WSGR was sued last year over an IP conflict of interest issue raised by Existence Genetics.   I am not an attorney. I don't know if there is an issue here--maybe there is a firewall in place or maybe EEStor isn't being supported any more, etc. Anyone?

Additionally, it looks like Quantumscape has hired Christian Fesenmaier who came from Nanosolar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing the link to Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati. I clicked on it and saw the longish list of "companies represented" which included EEStor. But that phrase doesn't explain whether those companies were once represented or continue to be represented (or a combination thereof). Find out the answer to that and maybe you're closer to the truth. Well. if the former, you're not; if the latter, that *might* be seen as a good thing.

B said...

My assumption is nothing is amiss at WSGR. But the public records are what they are. If WSGR thinks it's valuable to clarify the record, they will. I doubt they will.